Beautiful, Bountiful Bulbs: Container Recipes
Fall bulbs are the best investment you can make in your garden for colorful beds next spring. And right now is the perfect time to purchase because you have the best selection. That’s where Green Acres Nursery & Supply can help. Our stores offer the largest selection of Van Bloem Gardens bulbs in Northern California including:
- 60+ different Tulip varieties including classics, fancy, and hard-to-find varieties.
- 30+ Daffodil & Narcissus varieties, plus large volume landscape bags available.
- 20+ Irises, including Dutch and bearded varieties.
- Large selection of pre-packaged customer bulb blends.
- Other classic or hard-to-find bulbs including:
- Common Hyacinth
- Belladonna lily
- Grape Hyacinth
- Spider Lily (Lycoris)
- Spanish Bluebells
- Summer Snowflake
Create a bulb garden using our recipes, or select colors and characteristics that match your garden style. We’ve used some of our favorite spring-blooming bulbs, and mixed them with companion plants, to complement the bulbs. Note that our recipes are recommended for containers 20” diameter or larger.
BULB CONTAINER #1
- Allium (Large)
- Wire Vine
COLOR COMBINATION OPTIONS
- Orange & Yellow + Purple & Blue + Violet
- Red & Pink + White & Green + Violet
- Blue, Pink, White, Magenta, Pop of Yellow
- Orange, Yellow, Red, Dark Purple
- Or choose multi-colored blooms and play-up that palette.
- Tulips, Hyacinth and Grape Hyacinth require a minimum of 30 days of cool temperature (refrigeration) prior to planting. Bulbs and bulb selections are at their peak, so buy now, refrigerate and plant mid-November.
- As bulbs bloom, add annuals to fill gaps.
- Add E.B. Stone Organics Bulb Food at the time of planting.
- Apply mulch to prevent early bloom, which can make plants vulnerable to frost.
- Water to keep soil on the dry side of moist.
- Incorporate well-draining soil to allow unneeded water to drain out.
- Our bulbs are sourced from Van Bloem Gardens and come in packaging that takes the guess work out of planting; follow the simple instructions to know just how deep to plant, and the best distance and positioning.