Rare & Unique Japanese Maples 2019
Rare & Unique Japanese Maples 2019
A garden favorite in colors to suit most landscape designs, our nurseries will offer over 30 varieties of rare and unique Japanese Maples this season. Known for their diverse foliage color and characteristics: green, red, pink, variegated, serrated, or lace-like—and all displaying beautiful fall color. Prefers morning sun, afternoon shade in our area.
Use our list, and the advice from our horticultural gurus, as a guide to find the right Japanese Maple to fit your landscape.
- Acer japonicum ‘Aconitifolium’ – 8-10ft tall x 15-20ft wide. Also known as the Fernleaf Fullmoon Maple. Compact, rounded habit. Dark green, deeply cut, toothed leaves turn tones of red, orange, and gold in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Adrian’s Compact’ – 3-6ft tall x 2-4ft wide. Slow growing variety with an upright dwarf growth habit. Burgundy foliage throughout summer with bright red new growth that highlights the stem tips.
- Acer palmatum ‘Amagi Shigure’ – 6ft tall x 3ft wide. Slow-growing, upright habit with bright brick-red leaves and prominent black veins. Fall color is vivid orange, red and purple. The color is so outstanding; it is also called Purple Passion. Partial shade with well-drained soil. Hardy to -20° F.
- Acer palmatum ‘Arakawa’ – 12-15ft tall x 10-12ft wide. Known as the rough bark maple because it has unique corky bark. Upright growth habit develops cracks, creases and fissures giving it an aged look, even when young. Fantastic fall color with leaves turning bright orange and red.
- Acer shirasawanum ‘Autumn Moon’ – 10-12ft tall x 8-10ft wide, leaves in spring are a mixture of yellow and burnt orange. Fall foliage is yellow-orange.
- Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Baby Lace’ – 4-6ft tall x 3-5ft wide. Upright, spreading habit. Palmate, lace-like, curly foliage emerges pink, orange-red, or green; matures to bronze-green in summer and turns scarlet in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Bihou’ – 10-12ft tall x 8-10ft wide, known for its beautiful yellowish-white bark in winter. Chartreuse leaves edged with red emerge in spring. Beautiful yellow and orange in fall before leaf drop. Exceptional collectors’ specimen.
- Acer palmatum ‘Bonfire’ – 5-7ft tall x 4-6ft wide. Short and stocky dwarf growth habit. Foliage has brilliant crimson tones in spring, slowly turning to bronze-green in summer.
- Acer japonicum ‘Fairy Lights’ – 6-8ft tall x 3-4ft spread, slow-growing variety with an upright dwarf growth habit. Green spring foliage has very finely dissected leaves; fall color is a mosaic of yellow, orange and red.
- Acer palmatum ‘Fireglow’ – 8-10ft tall x 10-12ft wide with an upright growth pattern. Foliage is a brilliant red, brighter than ‘Bloodgood’ with a similar growth habit.
- Acer palmatum ‘Gossamer’ – 3-5ft tall x 2-3ft wide. Also known as the Dwarf Fullmoon Maple. Very slow growing. Deeply divided foliage appears medium green in spring, turning gold, orange and red in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Grandma Ghost’ – 10-12ft tall x 4-6ft wide. Fast grower. Foliage appears in shades of pink, cream, and pale green with contrasting vibrant pink veins; matures to gold and red in fall.
- Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Jeddeloh Orange’ – 4-5ft tall x 5-6ft wide. Very rare German cultivar has delicate lacy foliage in a bright chartreuse color, rimmed with red and orange. Fall color is a beautiful blush of golden-orange.
- Acer palmatum ‘Kamagata’– 4-6ft tall x 4-6ft wide. Upright, rounded growth habit. Finely cut, elegant bright green leaves emerge rosy pink in spring; golden yellow fall color.
- Acer palmatum ‘Mikawa Yatsubusa’ – 5-6ft tall x 5-6ft wide. Sculptural form with an extremely dense and bushy growth pattern; fiery red fall color. Excellent choice for a bonsai specimen. Needs little-to-no pruning, regular water and well-draining soil.
- Acer palmatum ‘Orange Dream’ – 8-10ft tall x 5-6ft wide. Slow-growing variety with an upright, open growth habit. Leaves emerge pink-orange in spring, developing red and yellow tones before maturing to soft green. Fall leaf color is gold and coral.
- Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Orangeola’ – 12-15ft tall x 4-6ft wide. Columnar growth habit. Palmate, lace-like, dissected leaves emerge orange, matures to green and purple in summer and turns orange-red in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Oregon Sunset’ – 8-10ft tall x 8-10ft wide. Upright, rounded habit. Large, palmate leaves emerge soft red, maturing to burgundy in summer and orange-red in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Otto’s Dissectum’ – 3ft tall x 4ft wide. Weeping habit. Finely-dissected leaves are bright orange-green in spring, maturing to bright orange and red in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Peaches & Cream’ – 6ft tall x 6ft wide, rather slow-growing. Leaves emerge cream with pink margin, then to mostly cream during summer; yellow-orange fall color. Keep moist and protect from hot afternoon summer sun.
- Acer palmatum ‘Peve Multicolor’ – 5ft tall x 3ft wide. Bushy, upright habit. New foliage emerges green with bright pink and white margins, continuing to change throughout the season. Gold leaves with red margins in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Pixie’ – 5-7ft tall x 5-7ft wide. Slow-growing variety with dense, upright, compact growth habit. ‘Pixie’ has been called the dwarf ‘Bloodgood’. Crimson leaves in spring, maturing to a deep burgundy.
- Acer palmatum ‘Purple Ghost’ – 8-15ft tall x 8-10ft wide. Slow growing variety with an upright, spreading habit. Palmate, serrated, deep purple-red leaves with prominent dark veins, mature to green in summer and turn fiery red to orange in fall. Bark is white.
- Acer palmatum ‘Radiant’ – 8ft tall x 5ft wide. Upright habit. Foliage emerges green with soft pink margins that mature to cream; fall color is red. Winter bark is striped green and pink.
- Acer shirasawanum ‘Red Dawn’ – 10-12ft tall x 5-6ft wide. Hybrid between shirasawanum and palmatum. Also known as Fullmoon Maple ‘Red Dawn’. Brilliant red spring color lasts into summer; fall color is also red.
- Acer palmatum ‘Rhode Island Red’ – 6ft tall x 5ft wide. Upright, rounded growth habit. Great for small gardens or containers. Bright red leaf color in spring, deepening in summer, turns orange-red in fall. Tolerates some sun but best with afternoon shade in hot climates.
- Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Russlyn in the Pink’ – 6ft tall x 5ft wide. Compact form. Foliage emerges light orange-pink and matures to burgundy purple. Bright red leaves with orange-green veins in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Ryusen’ – 6-8ft tall x 6-8ft wide. Narrow, weeping habit can be trained into an arch, making an interesting focal point. Pendulous branches with bright green leaves look stunning cascading over walls or out of containers. Fall color is fiery oranges, golds and reds. This variety tolerates more sun and heat than other varieties.
- Acer palmatum ‘Shishigashira’ – 12-15ft tall x 8-10ft wide. Low-growing, slightly spreading form. Heavily curled green leaves give a unique and interesting texture. Fall color ranges from red to yellow and purple-bronze.
- Acer palmatum dissectum ‘Spring Delight’ – 6-8ft tall x 6-10ft wide with a compact, weeping habit. Palmate, dissected, lace-like foliage emerges green, edged in red; matures to solid green in summer and turns orange-red in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Summer Gold’ – 8-12ft tall x 8-12ft wide. Slow-growing variety with an upright growth habit. Palmate leaves emerge bright green, mature to golden yellow in summer and turn coral-orange and red in fall.
- Acer palmatum ‘Tobiosho’ – 20ft tall x 15ft wide. Moderate grower with a broad, upright habit. One of the best fall color selections starts with gold and orange, maturing to a brilliant scarlet.
- Acer palmatum ‘Tsuma Gaki’ – 6-10ft tall x 4-8ft wide. Slow-growing variety with compact, rounded habit. Bright chartreuse leaves with dramatic red edges in spring turn to wide deep margins with cream centers in summer and orange-red in fall.