Welcome spring with lush, bright green foliage and blooms that provide stunning color as accents or mass planting. Azaleas enjoy filtered shade to morning sun, and our nurseries offer over a dozen varieties to choose from including Encore® Azalea and Bloom-A-Thon® varieties which are known for their multi-season, prolific blooms.
- Mature height can range from 2′-8′, depending on variety, with blooms averaging 2”-3” across.
- Flowers typically bloom in the spring, although timing can vary by variety. Encore® Azalea and Bloom-A-Thon® varieties are known for their multi season, prolific blooms.
- Available in many different colors including white, pink, salmon, purple and red.
- Deer resistant.
Caring For Your Azalea
- Light: Prefers filtered shade to morning sun in our area.
- Soil: Requires well-drained, slightly acidic soil (pH of 5 or 6) with additional organic matter such as peat, compost and leaves.
- Water: Needs regular or moderate watering. Typically weekly, or more often in extreme heat.
- When to Plant: Plant azaleas in late winter, early spring, or in fall. Give each plant good soil for new roots by digging a wide hole—only as deep as the root ball—and partially filling the hole with E.B. Stone™ Azalea, Camellia & Acid Planting Mix before planting.
- Pruning: Pruning isn’t necessary, but can be used to control height. Pruning or pinching back young azalea plants helps to promote bushy growth.
Keeping Your Azalea Happy
Keep your azalea happy throughout the year with a little TLC now and then. Here are a few recommendations to help along the way:
- GreenAll® Firmulch™: All-purpose organic soil conditioner used to improve soil aeration and water penetration. Use as an amendment or as mulch for acid-loving plants. Did you know? A 2"-3" layer of mulch will conserve soil moisture and help insulate the roots?
- E.B. Stone™ Sure Start: Formulated to develop strong roots and sturdy growth in any plant. Give a boost to new and old plantings. A staff favorite!
- E.B. Stone™ Organics Azalea, Camellia & Acid Planting Mix: A versatile mix that can be used as both a soil amendment or as a ready-to-use potting soil. A special blend of organic ingredients designed to meet the unique needs of most acid-loving plants. Also recommended for most varieties of ferns, rhododendrons and begonias.
- E.B. Stone™ Organics Azalea, Camellia & Gardenia Food: Natural, organic fertilizer formulated to target the needs of acid-loving plants, encouraging growth, green foliage and flowers.